Ask an undergraduate question

Ask UVic
Ask us about UVic campus life, from admissions and registration to what teams are playing and what's for lunch!

Using Ask UVic

Best response

Full-Time Students

The UVic definition of a full-time undergraduate student is someone who is registered 12 or more units of study in a Winter Session (September to April). For Summer Session (May to August), full-time status is enrolment in 6 or more units.

Registration in a Coop work term also constitutes full-time attendance.

Please note the following clarifications and exceptions:

  • To maintain scholarship eligibility you must be registered in a minimum of 12 academic units in two terms of study between May and April. If you are in a co-op work term, you must be registered in 6.0 academic units in one term and a co-op work term in another term between May and April.
  • For student loans, bus U-pass, and some Health and Insurance companies, full time is a 60% course load, which is 9 units for the Winter Session or 4.5 units for the Summer Session.
  • Canadian Inter-University Sports (CIS) require 9 units in a Winter Session, or 4.5 units in a term.
  • The maximum units of study allowed in a Winter Session is 18. Approval to take more than 18 units in a Winter Session must be obtained by the Dean of your Faculty.


Rate our answer

Related Questions